Glory Be To God: Chance The Rapper Talks Potentially Historic Grammy Win During Nomination Party In Chicago
Milly rock and scoopin’ all these GRAMMYS in his lap!!
If I didn’t know any better, I’d be willing to bet a significant chunk of cash that the entire city of Chicago went up in a unanimous “YAASSSS”, when it was announced that the South Side’s own Chance the Rapper was not nominated for only one, but SEVEN Grammy’s, including Best Album, in the upcoming 59th Annual awards.
Typically reserved for mainstream artists with major label backing and commercial sales, Chance’s multiple nominations mark a historic shift in the way “successful” music is perceived and celebrated, as Coloring Book becomes the first streaming-only album, by an independent artist (without label backing OR sales), to receive a nomination .
His list of impressive nominations include:
- Best Rap Album- Coloring Book
- Best New Artist
- Best Rap Song- ” No Problem” feat. Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz
- Best Rap Performance- “No Problem” feat. Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz
- Best Rap/Sung Perfomance- “Ultralight Beam”, Kanye West feat. Chance The Rapper
- Best Rap Song- “Ultralight Beam”, Kanye West Feat. Chance The Rapper and “Famous”, Kanye West feat. Chance The Rapper
After his December 6th nomination announcement, Chano took the stage during his nomination party at the Chicago Metro with few heartfelt words for his close family, friends and fans who filled the venue AND to give his city a sneak peak into precisely what he plans to do if he wins…
— Andrew Barber (@fakeshoredrive) December 7, 2016
(Props to Andrew @ FakeshoreDrive for capturing this adorable moment)
Clearly the Academy didn’t want any dread-head niggas in the lobby. Ya FEEL me??!!!